There’s nothing quite like warm fluffy pancakes on a lazy Sunday morning to start the day off well. The Modern Pantry produce one of the best brunches around and one of the best dishes they’ve offered in the past is there raspberry and ricotta pancakes. Light and fluffy in texture due to the egg whites and a great flavour from the sweet raspberries and creamy ricotta.
The lovely people at The Modern Pantry have released the recipe so everyone can enjoy them in the comfort of their home. The pancakes follow a normal batter recipe however they include whisked egg whites. This makes the pancakes very light in texture and not stodgy like some can be. The ricotta cheese gives the pancakes a creamy flavour whilst the raspberries provide a sharp sweetness. I served mine with natural yogurt, a drizzle of honey and a few chopped walnuts to give a crunchy texture.
Next Sunday morning whip up a batch of fluffy pancakes and laze around for the day.
125g self raising flour
50g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
50g butter, melted
150ml natural yogurt
100g frozen or fresh raspberries
Oil, for frying
Handful of walnuts
Handful of raspberries
– Stir together the flour, 1/4 tsp of salt and sugar in a large bowl.
– In a jug whisk together the egg yolks, melted butter and natural yogurt.
– Pour onto the dry ingredients and mix together.
– In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
– Fold into the pancake mixture followed by the ricotta and raspberries.
– Heat a little oil in a pan and pour in a little batter at a time cooking in batches. Cook on each side for around 3 minutes until golden brown on each side.
– To serve, top with a little natural yogurt, a drizzle of honey, some crushed walnuts and some more raspberries.