The start of spring is marked by the emergence of rose blossom on the trees.
Although it’s still snowing up in the North East it’s bright blue skies and fresh air.
Lemons and limes are the fruits of spring and summer, fresh and sweet. Blueberries with their sweet juiciness make a fab addition to a classic lemon drizzle cake, giving the cake a burst of flavour and colour.
Mary Berry’s lemon drizzle sponge is light and moist in texture with a crunchy topping. Adding lime and blueberries gives the cake an even juicier and sweet and sharp flavour.
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons milk
Grated rind of 1 lemon
Grated rind of 1 lime
Handful of blueberries
Juice of 1 lemon
100g caster sugar
100g icing sugar
Juice 1 lime
– Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line a round cake tin with baking parchment.
– Measure all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until light and smooth.
– Pour into the tin and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
– Whilst still warm, mix together the caster sugar with the juice of the lime.
– Prick the cake all over and pour over the caster sugar mixture.
– Once cool, remove from the tin.
– Mix together the icing sugar with juice of the lime.
– Drizzle over the cake and top with blueberries and grated lemon and lime zest.