There is something very comforting about a traybake. Everything can be thrown together, squidged, drizzled and baked all in the same tray. Everything gets infused with the surrounding flavours. This results in a sensory masterpiece.
The traybake is incredibly simple but delicious nonetheless. All that is required is to chop the vegetables and make sure everything is tightly packed into the tray to infuse to the max.
After baking for 25 minutes the chicken is very moist, wrapped in crispy bacon with a covering of smoky paprika. The garlic cloves have roasted so that they release a sweet flavour when you bite into them. The potatoes and tomatoes have been infused by the lemon quarters and have a fragrant rosemary taste to them.
The secret to getting this dish just right is making sure everything is packed tightly together to infuse. Don’t be afraid to add an extra glug of olive oil or an extra sprinkle of paprika to enhance the simple, basic ingredients – chicken, potatoes and tomatoes.
The Recipe – Serves 4 (Taken from Jamie Oliver)
500g cherry tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
20 new potatoes
4 chicken breasts
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
4 rashers of smoked bacon
Sprigs of rosemary
– Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Cut the cherry tomatoes into half. With the back of a knife, crush the garlic cloves.
– Add them to the roasting tin.
– Cut the potatoes in half and add these too.
– Place the chicken breasts in the tin. Sprinkle over the oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
– Wrap one piece of bacon around each chicken breast.
– Chop the lemon into quarters and place in the tin where there is space.
– Sprinkle over the sprigs of rosemary and drizzle all over with olive oil.
– Bake for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and everything is packed with flavour.