There is a certain satisfaction to peeling a warm muffin away from the paper case. Eating the sponge that has stuck to the edges. The chocolate still melting from the heat and the blueberries bursting with a sweet sharp flavour.
A warm muffin is the perfect breakfast accompaniment to a cup of hot coffee. Speedy and simple to make, you can throw in anything that takes your fancy: blueberries, raspberries, hazelnuts, almonds, banana, cinnamon, pecans. Anything and everything. I found blueberries, dark chocolate and hazelnuts to be a winning combination. Bursting with flavour with a crunchy texture from the hazelnuts.
Next weekends breakfast – sorted.
The Recipe – Makes 9
150g plain flour
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. mixed spice
40g caster sugar
55g butter, melted
Handful of blueberries
Handful of dark chocolate chunks
Handful of hazelnuts, crushed
– Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Line a muffin tin with 9 muffin cases.
– In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.
– In another bowl whisk the egg, milk and sugar. Add the melted butter and mix together.
– Pour the milk mixture over the flour and mix together. Don’t worry about the lumps – they’ll help the muffins rise.
– Add the blueberries, dark chocolate and hazelnuts. Fold into the mixture.
– Spoon into the cases and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and risen.